Thursday, December 5, 2013

MDA Framework of Game Design

The MDA Framework is a proposed concept of game design and game experience. MDA is broken into three parts, that is Mechanic, Dynamic, and Aesthetic. The Mechanic represents the established rules within the game, Dynamic is how the rules interact with each other, and Aesthetics is the type of appeal the game is given as a result of its Dynamic.


MDA Framework explained visually.

There is apparently a disconnect between Player and Developer, as the two categories look at games with different approaches. For Players, they see the Aesthetics first, which is what introduces them to the game, in which they then experience the Dynamics and Mechanics. However, for a Developer, they approach a game on the opposite approach.

As an aspiring game developer myself, I actually find myself looking at the Aesthetics end first, but I think that may have to do with the fact that I am an unexperienced game designer. I first think about what kind of game I would like to play, but then I skip past Dynamic and into the Mechanic, where I attempt to come up with Mechanic that would eventually lead to the Dynamic, and thus link back to the Aesthetic.


CK2's Aesthetics pleases me so much that I attempt to break 
own one sort of mechanics can derive from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment